Practice Management

• 1.  APNs and ultrasound

Posted 09-13-2023 09:09

Hi.  Looking to see how other consultative MFM practices are utilizing APNs.

Are any offices out there having APNs see ultrasound patients to review the findings? 

If so, 

1) Do they see only BPPs, Cervixes, Limited? or Do they also see 76805 and 76811 patients?

2) Who is interpreting the imaging? Does the MD interpret the images and generate the report? Do you allow APNs to interpret any imaging?

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Whelan

• 2.  RE: APNs and ultrasound

Posted 09-13-2023 10:14

We do full scope MFM care which includes prenatal visits. Our APNs see return prenatal care visits and review u/s findings in those visits. This includes all exams. If there is something abnormal on the scan, the MFM physician discusses with the patient in the u/s room.

The physicians interpret all the images and generate the reports. Our MFM APNs do not interpret any imaging. 

Andrea Greiner

• 3.  RE: APNs and ultrasound

Posted 09-14-2023 07:32
    I am an APP working in MFM Akron.  We review ultrasound findings with patients and bill 99202 or 99212.  Our physicians interpret, sign and bill for ultrasound. 

Sue Nicholas MSN, BSN, WHNP-BC
    330-543-4658

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

This electronic mail transmission, including any attached files, may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, any unauthorized parties. Any review, use, distribution, dissemination, downloading, copying or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that you have received this transmission in error. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it, as well as any copies, from your system without copying it, and notify the sender by reply e-mail.

• 4.  RE: APNs and ultrasound

Posted 09-18-2023 19:22

l would also like to know how many practices have RNs or APNs who have completed a certification course performing BPPS

Donna Kelly
    Director of Perinatal Services
    Odessa Regional Medical Center & Regional Perinatal Centers
    Odessa/Midland TX
    432-553-3085

• 5.  RE: APNs and ultrasound

Posted 09-20-2023 09:08

Hi Donna, 

I would be super interested to know if there is a course / certification for a nurse to perform BPPS?  We have a nurse to each Provider here and with limited US techs this could be helpful in busy clinics. Can you share what you have ? 

Danielle Strosnider

• 6.  RE: APNs and ultrasound

Posted 09-20-2023 12:38

Hi Danielle,

We are also in a region where sonographers are in short supply so 25 years ago we developed our own training by the MFM and sonographer as well as an annual exam and competency verification by an MFM (they had to observe and sign a skills competency checklist on 3 BPPs annually).  Then ten years ago or more there were educational companies providing training and certification for RNs & APNs.  I recently discovered that one of those companies is no longer providing that training but Advanced Health Education Center in Houston is. I am working with Kelli Reddix there. 

I would really like to know how many practices have RNs and APNs performing BPPs.  I have providers with differing opinions on the matter.

Donna Kelly
    Director of Perinatal Services
    Odessa Regional Medical Center & Regional Perinatal Centers
    Odessa/Midland TX
    432-553-3085