Practice Management

• 1.  Contracting for Teleconsults

Posted 08-11-2022 09:36
    Good Morning Practice Management Community, 

I am reaching out as our practice is initiating the renegotiation process with a hospital to provide telemedicine consultation services. 
    We began providing services when another MFM practice pulled out of the area. 
    Our goal is to receive a fixed yearly fee, but we are having difficulty finding out a fair market value to base this fee on. 
    Does anyone have experience with this, or can provide guidance on how we can learn more so that we can bring good information to the negotiation. 
    Our practice is in a large metro in the Southeast and we have a good reputation in the community and we are confident we can bring value to the hospital, but we wish to be compensated fairly for the arrangement as currently we are providing this service as a courtesy and at no cost (save our telemedicine consult billing). 

Thank You, 

Juan A. Peña, MD MPH

------------------------------
    Juan Peña

• 2.  RE: Contracting for Teleconsults

Posted 08-11-2022 11:08
    Hello!

I suggest before all that you learn what is the expected volume and complexity.
    It helps knowing payor mix, as based on it, you can design a model that protects your time invested in this endeavor. A contract that is time based versus patient based will favor you depending on those factors. 
    Remote reading, as a quality service, does require a commitment beyond just interpreting the studies. The degree of your involvement at their practice level should be defined.

I hope this is helpful,

Angela Silber, MD, MBA
    Division and Network Chief, MFM
    Westchester Medical Network, Valhalla, NY

Angela Silber